Sunday 25 March 2018

Total Current Assets - Breaking $10 000

Since starting investing last year, I have realized the importance of tracking whether its the stock holdings that you have or savings that you are keeping. So today, I have decided to have a post that will show my stock holdings and current cash holdings too.

Considering that it is going to be quite awhile before I am able to draw my CPF, I will not be including it in my current calculation. So I will be including my stock holdings and cash holdings.

*Stock Holdings: 

Allocation of Stock Holdings


As you can see in my portfolio, I am currently holding 7 stocks. The proportions are pretty equal as I try to spend around the same amount for each except for maybe Amara, which was what I bought into when I just started investing so I only bought a small proportion of it. Design studio is the next smallest due to the recent profit guidance that was released making it's share prices plummet. Overall, I think I will be stopping at 7 stocks and like what I have wrote in my previous post, I will be investing more into the STI ETF so I have been building up my cash holdings. Total value of my portfolio now stands at $5935.94 and my current cost is $6078.912, in the red right now without including my dividends. Hoping to definitely build this up over time

Current Cost and Value of Stock portfolio

*Cash Holdings:

For most of my cash holdings, I put them in a CIMB FastSaver Account earning 1% per annum and I also placed some in Singapore Savings Bond - Dec 2017. The rates for the SSB -Dec 2017 which i have placed $2000 in would have an effective return of 2.16% if I were to hold it for 10 years. I also have a POSB and UOB aacount but both has only a little above the minimum sum as I just keep them as spending and Giro accounts to pay my bills.

Effective Return for SBDEC17
I currently have $2000 in SSB and approximately $5000 in my CIMB Fastsaver. Of course, if I do see any good chance to deploy my cash on hand, I would use from the CIMB account and redeem the SSB if needed but currently, I don't see any need for that yet.

Cash on Hand

As of now, my total current cash and stocks value are standing at $19014.85. I have managed to earned this amount from part-time work, internships and angbaos. So i definitely hope to increase it in the near future like maybe to move to a saving account that can provide me with higher interest rates. 

Today is 23th Mar 2018, the market has been reacting to the news of Donald Trump waging a trade war against China and wow, it hasn't been good, my portfolio has gone into the red. When the market opens again on Monday, 25th Mar, it will be interesting to see how it goes.

*Accurate as of 18/03/2018

12 comments:

  1. hi,i am curious to know which broker do you used to buy stock in sg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonicericsg,

      I currently use DBS Vickers Cash Upfront.
      Hope that helps:)

      Delete
    2. hi,thank for your reply

      i would also like to ask,do you pay the $25 transaction fee everytime you purchase a stock?

      Delete
    3. Hi Sonicericsg,

      Right now I pay $5 for each trade as they have a minimum charge of 0.12% or $10. And there is also a $5 rebate for each trade done:)

      You can take a look here.
      https://www.dbs.com.sg/vickers/en/accounts/types-of-account/cash-upfront-account

      Delete
    4. thanks for the info on dbs vickers,didn't know they have a promotion,what a shame that i have miss out on it

      By the way,do you only buy when there is promotion on the trade?

      Delete
    5. Hi Sonicericsg,

      I was lucky that they had this promo going on when I started investing last year. I don’t really wait for the promotion before making a purchase. The promotion is a bonus to me and whether it’s there or not, it wouldn’t affect me buying. Hope this helps:)

      Delete
  2. I am not familiar with DBS broker. Will they incur additional Dividend charges? Since you hold a large proportion of dividend rich assets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi INTJ,

      Allow me to answer this. Shares bought under DBS Vickers Cash Upfront account will be credited into your CDP account. When dividend is paid to stocks you hold under your CDP account, it will be credited straight to the DCS Account you've linked with CDP. In that aspect, there will be no charges incurred.

      Hence, it's the same as the other brokerages out there :)


      Hi SingaporeanTalkMoney,

      So sorry for interrupting the query here and making my own decision to answer it on your behalf.

      I'm amazed by the amount of cash you hold in relation to your investment. Peace of mind is indeed priceless.

      A great motivation for me to keep working hard and hopefully I'll attain what you have soon! :)

      Coincidentally, I'm in the midst of shifting some of my monies into CIMB FastSaver account for that appetizing 1% interest :p

      Looking forward to more of your post and learning more from you!

      Delete
    2. Hi Sleepydevil,

      No worries and thank you for answering that question:) Yeah, I do hold a larger amount in cash rather than my stock holdings as I am not so ready to put so much into the stock market until I receive a regular income.

      Right now, the amount I earn from giving tuition is not very substantial hence I rather have more cash on hand just in case of anything. But when I hopefully start working in 2019, I would be investing much more:) Looking forward to your next post too!

      Delete
  3. it is a very good start for a young guy like you. many people who have already started working for a long time are unfortunately afraid of putting their money into stocks/investments for fear of losing money. They do not realise that putting in the banks actually loses money due to inflation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    Great to see another young investor in the scene :) May I ask why do you choose to hold two kinds of STI ETF?

    Cheers,
    Cupcake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CupcakedCrusader,

      I hold two kinds because I actually first started with POSB Investsaver and then created my CDP account so my POSB Investsaver is actually holding G3B and my CDP account holds ES3:)

      Delete