Sunday 29 April 2018

Retiring Early and comfortably?- What is FIRE?

Over the course of last week, I came across many other experienced financial bloggers who wrote about this term FIRE. I have not yet came across this acronym and was a little confused as to what it implies. Some of the articles that I read were by InvestmentMoats, BULLy the BEAR and Minimalist in the city. After reading through their post, I could get a rough meaning of what FIRE stands for.

What is FIRE?

FIRE stands for financial independence, retire early meaning that you have achieved financial independence and can retire early as you are financially independent. After reading up a bit more on it, I realized that FIRE is essentially what most people would want or are aiming for. I have to admit  that when I saw this term, I was very interested in it too. Being able to retire early? Wow, I am in! Haha, even though I have not even started work.

Why do people want to achieve FIRE?

Achieving FIRE would firstly definitely provide you with more time to do things and I think this is what most people are thinking about when they think of retiring early because work takes up so much of our time that we are unable to do things that we want.

Another point on why people would want to achieve FIRE is that they feel that being able to retire early and have financial independence then there would definitely be less stress and worry. For example, work deadlines or upcoming mortgages but does it really allow less stress?




There are always reasons why people would want to retire early. But the grass always looks greener on the other side. I have relatives like my uncle who tells me he will never retire and would wok till he no longer can while there people like my mum who can't wait to retire but I know that my mum could be lost or feel bored as she doesn't really have a support group yet for example friends who have retired.Or maybe she would join one after she retires. We all have different reasons but I believe that only ourselves would know what fits us.

How to achieve FIRE?

How can you achieve FIRE then? The number one rule of to achieving FIRE is to grow your income and keep your expenses low. The main point here is definitely your savings rate as it will determine when you can retire. A higher savings rate would bring your retirement age earlier while a lower saving rate would mean a later retirement age. I guess then investing can be a pro or con in this case. If you are able to have a high saving rate and you invest as well with a good growth rate then you can significantly reduce the number of years required. On the other hand, if you invest but lose money instead then it's not going to bring your retirement age any closer to you right now.

Are we really able to do so?

Many people of course would doubt themselves if they are even able to do so. I think that you never know until you try it out. Of course, the first few years might be tough as the saving rate might not be very significant however I believe that after you have maintain a significant amount of savings, there are definitely benefits you can reap from it. I am glad to have come into contact with this term and realized that there are a huge load of things still out there for me to find out. I am definitely going to get started after my exams which will be ended on the week after next. In the meantime, I will be studying and cramping all the information into my pea-sized brain. Wish me good luck!





17 comments:

  1. First thing first. Focus on your job to earn more and save more. How many of those bloggers who are reaching F.I or already F.I.R.E are low income earners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sir! I do agree with you that high income can make a huge difference in the path to FIRE.

      Delete
  2. I think u r on right path. Invest a bit here and there to learn. Unlucky ones pay school fees. Don't get this stop you. Pay lah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I am currently paying school fees for one of my stock as I was greedy for its high dividend yield. Will be learning much more along this journey. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I have achieved financially independence this year, but as a doctor, family and friends think I am nuts to give up a career that I have spent so much time (and tears) on. Also I am only in my early- mid 30s. Before you start thinking that I charge high patients fees, I have only worked in government hospitals. I have skimped to save more and spent my free time doing reading on investments.

    I take my loved ones comments on board, but have come to the decision that I will go part time in 3 years time and quit my doctoring job in early 40s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happiness, time, health, fun, there’s so much more in life for us other than just money and reputation. Very happy for you and you will still be doing it part time so it should still be good!

      Delete
    2. Indeed. I actually want to retire early to spend more time with my family (main reason). Every hour away from them is like a pinch on my heart.

      Delete
  4. Unless you have very high income, say you start off with a $60,000 to $70,000 annual income and spend very little, it is very hard for you to imagine reaching a figure of $500,000 for it to be fully functional.

    Every dollar has its own utility, and it is up to you to philosophically imagine how useful that amount is.

    those old birds, we didnt come to see this term, we think this is possible because we been doing this for some time and luckily the process matches the accidental goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely have time on your side since you started young and will have at least a couple of years to build up your income and portfolio.

    The margin between your income and your expenses and how you utilise it to build up your wealth is key.

    Looking forward to read your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate:)

      Keeping a high savings rate coupled with high income would be the best combo.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Haha I get it too thinking of retiring when I havent even started working. Have a plan and stick to it, we can do this! All the best for finals YA

    Cheers,
    Cupcake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, all the best for finals too! Yeah, thinking about retiring when we have not started working yet. But a goal in mind can spur us on further:)

      Delete
  7. Great to see you starting your journey towards FIRE by acquiring strong personal finance skills! *impressed* You will have time as an advantage and learning from people's mistakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the post you do. I like your post and all you share with us is up to date and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job.
    blocktalks

    ReplyDelete
  9. FIRE does not work. - An ex-Google, ex-Facebook, multi-millionre. Details in https://youtu.be/k2wbW5SwgDM.

    ReplyDelete