Monday 11 November 2019

Cleaning up my resume + how much am I asking for my new pay

I have started my job search and I have applied to 2 jobs that are quite similar to my current job. My resume hasn't been updated and so before I applied for any, I had to clean up my resume a little.

To be honest, the layout of my resume looks kinda childish. I try to keep my resume to one page to allow easy access for the interviewer and also because I am still at an entry level so my job scope really doesn't allow me to elaborate much.


I have seen many resume and they are all wordy with work experiences and job scope. I was thinking of what style to go for my resume. Currently, I am using a really simple template where my job and education is on the left side and my outside activities and interest on the right.

For the 2 jobs that I have applied for, I have asked for a 20% increase from my current pay. Comparing my current salary to the median salary for fresh graduates in Singapore (~$3500), I am actually earning much lower than that.

Even if I do get the 20% increase, I would still be earning lower than the median salary for fresh graduates.

Of course, my main aim for the new job is that I want a permanent job and best if they can match or offer me a higher pay.

Being a contract worker really worries me every time we are nearing the end as I need to see if my boss still has headcount and whether or not I will be extended.


But for me, I believe that you need to be in good spirits for an interview as the interviewers can really feel your energy and if you appear to be in bad spirits, it does affect the whole interview in some way.

Read more: Vulnerability when we lose our jobs or can't find a job

I am hoping to hear some news soon although they have mentioned that the processing time would be more than 2 weeks but I do hope to be at least selected for the interview. In the meantime, I will just do my best at my current place and enjoy what's left of 2019!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, if you are applying for entry level job roles, it might be better to find a way to expand the descriptions on your previous positions. A one page resume works well when you have lots of prior work experience and only need to summarise what you did in each job role.

    Otherwise, having a two page resume might work better for you so you can show in detail your skills and what you did in previous positions even though you don't have much prior work experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Finance Smiths, thanks a lot for the tip. Will elaborate more on my current job as I dont have much experience.Congratulations on your baby!

      Delete
  2. Click here to Forex No Deposit Bonus 2020 List. >>> Forex No Deposit Bonus 2020 List

    ReplyDelete