Wednesday 26 June 2019

Volunteering after a period of not doing so

I just had a (Corporate Social Responsibility) CSR event organised by the company where we brought kids to a farm to harvest vegetables for an old folks home.

I used to volunteer quite often when I was in school and after I started work, I have stopped my volunteering sessions due to time and energy being limited.


When I first signed up to attend the CSR event, I wasn't expecting much except that it would be a half day off work since we would set off at noon.

At the event itself, when we were introduced to the kids and paired up, I was paired with this energetic and cheerful girl. We were able to get along and she also had another friend so we got ahead to harvesting the vegetables.

There were a huge variety of vegetables and I also got to interact with the other kids as we played games and ate together.

The feeling of when I used to volunteer came back and to be honest, I missed that feeling and thoroughly enjoyed myself that day.


The feeling of just helping to harvest and to have fun with the kids, no pressure to complete work and to reply emails.

I have to say that this was really a good break for me. Although it drain my energy as handling the kids were not an easy task. But I felt more refreshed and fulfilled than going for a holiday.

Wow, I guess volunteering and knowing that you are bringing companionship or joy to others can make you feel so much more satisfied than anything else.


No comments:

Post a Comment