Wednesday 16 September 2020

Resigning from your job - Should you quit when you can't take it? Or stay on for the pay?

A recent article, Why are Young People Quitting their Jobs in this Economy by Rice Media describes a few individuals who chose to resign their job for various reasons during this difficult period. For me, I can roughly relate to a few of them on why they chose to resign on their end. 

I actually also considered resigning and am also still considering but in my case, as I am currently the only one working full-time in my family, I need a job to be lined up for me before I quit. 

Read more: How much money do you need to be earning to be happy?

During this uncertain period, a lot of people have realised that the company that they work for really just needs them to complete the mundane or repetitive job to a certain extent and when they are no longer needed, they will be asked to leave to made redundant. Seeing all the large numbers of retrenchments going on does make me feel afraid that my main source of income is so dependent on the company that I am working for.  

We really just don't know what might happen to us if we are not able to work or reach the standards set. One of the interviewee in the article mentioned that he resigned from his job and his parents were okay with it because since WFH, he works till about 2am during the weekdays and even his weekends are not spared. 

I try to complete my tasks for the day and whatever that can be done the next day, I try to do it the next day but often, I will stay late because the work piles up and deadlines are also set. I see many of my colleagues log on late in the night to complete their work as well. 

Since going back to the office to work on 1 Sep 2020, my colleagues have commented that working from home is so much more productive as lesser distractions are around. As a restructuring was done recently, 3 departments were grouped into one department and lesser manpower as some of the contract staff were not renewed. This means that we face more new and daily work but lesser manpower to cope.

The larger workload affects us to a certain extent and what more when our boss doesn't appreciate our effort because she thinks we are not doing our best working from home. Our weekly meetings have become a dreaded thing as we always get scolded by her on our work. I have to say that part of it is our fault as well, we used to not on our video cameras and not respond to her thinking that we can hide behind our computers. 

Read more: No such thing as an iron rice bowl

I think that gave her the impression that we didn't respect her in a way. Since the hybrid work model started on 1 Sep 2020, our meetings have gotten better as she can physically see half of us (due to split operations). 

Mental health is definitely very important, if the stress from work is really too much to handle, it might be better to leave. For me, I am still coping okay and understand that my job scope has changed and widen, it is a good learning curve and definitely hope it can make my resume look more impressive. To be honest, some times I do doubt my own capabilities on handling my work. 

You can also find me on

No comments:

Post a Comment